In 2006, in the 116 largest (most populous) U.S. cities, there were, on average, more tanning salons than there were Starbucks® coffee shops.
Indoor Tanning Beds
The number of Americans visiting tanning salons has increased dramatically in the U.S. On average, two million Americans tan indoors every day, and more than 30 million tan per year. In 2009, the World Health Organization moved UV radiation from tanning beds to the list of the most dangerous forms of cancer-causing radiation. In making its decision, the WHO cited research showing that tanning is especially hazardous to young people; those who use sunbeds before age 35 increase their lifetime risk of melanoma by 75 percent. Additionally, people who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma.
Some in the public health community compare indoor tanning—a $5 billion a year industry—to the tobacco industry: both tobacco and tanning are associated with cancer and other health risks; both are sold as providing positive social benefits; and both get their customers when they are young and less concerned about the long term health risks.
Indoor Tanning Legislation for 2014
Click on the link below to view a state-by-state comparison of indoor tanning legislation for minors: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/indoor-tanning-restrictions.aspx
Pediatric Control of Tobacco and Tanning Beds:
On October 5th and 6th, 2011, researchers and advocates interested in pediatric control of tobacco and tanning beds met to seek a common consensus of strategic next steps required to implement and enforce a ban on tanning beds for minors. Click on the link at the bottom of this page to view a brief summary of the meeting. For further information, please email Alan Geller at email@example.com.
- American Academy of Dermatology. (2014). Indoor Tanning. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/indoor-tanning.
- CDC. (2013). Is Indoor Tanning Safe? Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm
- CITY100: Controlling Indoor Tanning in Youth. (2008). Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://indoortanningreportcard.com/cancerconnection.html
- Environmental Protection Agency. (2009). RadTown USA: UV Tanning Equipment. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.epa.gov/radtown/tanning-equipment.html
- Federal Trade Commission. (2010). Indoor Tanning. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0129-indoor-tanning
- Health Physics Society. (2010). Tanning Salons. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.hps.org/documents/Tanning_Salons_Fact_Sheet.pdf
- Skin Cancer Foundation. (2010). Tanning. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.skincancer.org/Tanning/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services podcasts:
- Tans all over America: http://www.hhs.gov/news/healthbeat/2013/09/tans_all_over_america.html
- More tanning bed cancers:
- Teen tan trouble:
- Odds on indoor tanning:
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2009). Radiation-Emitting Products: Tanning. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/Tanning/default.htm
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2014). Indoor Tanning: the Risks of Ultraviolet Rays. Retreived February 9, 2014, from http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm186687.htm
- World Health Organization. (2010). Ultraviolet Radiation and the INTERSUN Programme. Retrieved February 9, 2014, from http://www.who.int/uv/en/
- Hillhouse, J, Turrisi, R, & Shields, AL. (2007). Patterns of Indoor Tanning Use: Implications for Clinical Interventions. Archives of Dermatology, 143(12), 1530-1535.
- Lazovich, D & Forster, J. (2005). Indoor Tanning by Adolescents: prevalence, practices and policies. European Journal of Cancer, 41, 20-27.
- National Council of State Legislatures. (2014). Indoor Tanning Restrictions for Minors: a State-by-State Comparison. Retrieved on February 9, 2014, from http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/indoor-tanning-restrictions.aspx
- Skin Cancer Foundation. (2009). Tanning Beds: WHO Issues Official Warning. Retrieved May 16, 2010, from http://www.skincancer.org/tanning-beds-who-issues-official-warning.html
- World Health Organization. (2010). Sunbeds, tanning, and UV exposure. Retrieved May 16, 2010, from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs287/en/
- About Us
- Skin Cancer
- Member Section